There is always something to look forward to in our lives. A new car, a raise, Friday afternoons, summer, getting married, graduating college…. the list goes on. Don’t get me wrong, those things are great and we should definitely be anticipating them, but sometimes looking forward to the next big thing can ruin what we have going on in our lives right now. Even just taking a second to be present is a great way to remind ourselves of how blessed we are to be alive in this exact moment. A favorite little quote of mine is “wherever you are, be all there” by Jim Elliot. It reminds me that whether I’m stuck in traffic or out of my mind bored studying for finals, I need to still be mindful and live in that moment. I’m blessed to have a car, even if I get stuck in a jam on the interstate once in a while and in twenty years I’m gonna wish my biggest problem was just studying for a Chem exam. Thoughts like these help me to remember that I’m alive and healthy and that there are so many things that I should be more grateful for.
Here are some of my favorite things that make life wonderful:
1. Fresh, ripe, ruby red strawberries.
2. The smell after my yard is mowed.
3. Homemade lemonade.
4. Naps in the middle of the day.
5. Qdobas chips and queso.
6. Warm rainstorms.
7. When the radio plays all the right songs.
8. A big hug from someone I love.
9. Finally finishing a task I’ve been putting off.
10. Taking a long, warm shower.
11. Wearing fuzzy socks when my feet are cold.
12. When a new season of my favorite TV shows gets released on Netflix.
13. Coffee shop music.
14. A funny joke.
15. Waking up from a really great nights sleep.
16. A fully charged cell phone.
17. Taylor Swifts new album. Just yes.
18. Having a perfect hair day.
19. Rolling down all the windows and blasting my favorite music in the car.
20. Frozen yoghurt dates.
~*~ “So often we become so focused on the finish line that we fail to enjoy the journey” Deiter F. Uchtdorf ~*~
Image found on shopstyle.com